MARCH

March was full of fun events include attending St. Patty’s parades, having my family in town for a long weekend, enjoying the beautiful spring weather and going to Audobon or City Park whenever I get the chance.  

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am part of NOLA Books & Brains, organized by Dr. Liz Engler-Chiaruzzi. We had our first in-person event, which was was tabling at Family Day for New Orleans Book Fest, hosted at Tulane. We had several activities set up, including making pipe cleaner neurons, clay brain models, and coloring books. Some of the PhD students were also performing real brain dissections. It was heartwarming to see the kids excited to participate in our activities and having the chance to teach them about parts of the brain and neurons. I was a neuroscience major undergrad at Tulane so I love being able to share my interest with aspiring youth. 







Next, I volunteered again with some classmates at Covenant House, except this time we were at their new maternal ward. This is an apartment unit that will house CH residents that have young children and equip them with the appropriate services. Since this property was just purchased and has not been lived in for awhile, we spent the day deep cleaning the apartments so that they would be ready for move in. Below is a photo of one of the units and the cleaning supplies. I have volunteered numerous times for CHNO and am looking forward to my return next month. 




March Hours: 6.5 Semester Hours: 8.5 


Comments

Popular Posts