APRIL

It is bittersweet to be writing my last blog post for this program. The year went by insanely fast and it is bittersweet knowing this chapter of my life has already come to a close. I still remember the exciting moment a year ago when I found out I was accepted to this program. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning from the amazing and supportive professors in the Pharmacology department and getting another year of living in my favorite city. While I learned a ton about pharmacology as a subject, I have also become way more comfortable with public speaking and reading, dissecting, and presenting scientific research. I know that these invaluable skills will help me in med school and beyond. 

April was mostly spent studying for the NBME and MCAT, which was tiring and challenging. It was great to spend time with my classmates for our last volunteer activity, which was making cute spring cards for the youth at the Louisiana Methodist Children's Home. We all had a great time!


I also assisted with Books N Brains’ workshop at Girls in STEM at Tulane (GiST) and Boys at Tulane in STEM (BATS). This program is run by Tulane's Center for K-12 STEM Education, which provides local students in New Orleans an amazing opportunity to learn about and investigate various STEM fields. I interned for the K-12 Center as an undergrad and loved being able to participate in GiST/BATS again. Our workshop consisted of a short term memory recall activity, making pipe cleaner neurons, a brain slicing demonstration with discussions about parts of the brain, and finally an egg drop experiment to learn about protecting brains from damage. I am passionate about sharing my love for science with children and am thankful for the opportunities that allow me to do this. I had an amazing time teaching neuroscience to these young students and hearing their creative ideas. 




My favorite moments from this month were going to Crawfest, enjoying the delicious food and music at Jazzfest, having friends in town and being able to go home to New Jersey and visit family for Easter and Passover. I am actively applying to jobs for the next year, while studying for the MCAT in June and working on my medical school application. I am unsure of my next steps for now, but hope that I am able to stay here in this amazing city. In the meantime, I'm so grateful for my experience in this program, the friends I have made, and the skills I've gained. 





April hours: 5.5
Semester hours: 14

Total year hours: 26.5

Comments

Popular Posts